The San Diego Rock and Roll Marathon

Yep, a marathon...Whose idea was this anyway??

Thursday, June 2, 2011

San Diego Here We Come!

Well, I think this is my last post before we run the big run.  We head out after work today for Mesquite, NV, and then on to the beautiful San Diego Friday morning!  We've got our sequined costumes race outfits, our swimsuits, flip flops, tickets to a Padres game, and we're ready to go!  The kids have their suitcase packed and and lots of plans to keep the grandparents busy for the weekend (they've been so excited to have "4 sleepovers" that they have been planning activities for weeks!)  Its really exciting, and a little nerve wracking too.

I have been trying to convince myself that there is nothing to be nervous about (mainly because I know I'll be up all night, and then I'll have to pee a million times before the race and I think there will be long lines for the port-a-potties).  I've been telling myself this is just going to be a long run with two of my best friends, and not really a race-there's nothing to get worked up over.  But now the reality is starting to set in- I'm not really that nervous, but I am getting more and more excited by the minute.  I keep thinking about what still needs to be done, what we'll need to do when we get there, how far we really have to run, what if I forget my shoes, what if I get separated from the girls and can't find them, what if I can't finish, what if we can't find our husbands at the finish, what if...

Then last night at a work meeting I talked to my friend (and coworker) Charlie.  Charlie was an avid (and really fast) runner who is now in a wheelchair due to a spinal chord issue that I don't fully understand.  He wished me luck on the run, and told me to think of him as we are running along the beach.  He said, with a look of seriousness, but no resentment, "Just think of me and be happy you can run".  I can't even type this without my eyes welling up.  But he is right.  That is the best advice I have received so far.  There is nothing to be nervous about- I am so blessed to get to go on this adventure.  I get to go on a road trip with my husband and good friends to a beautiful place, run on these 2 legs that have put in a lot of miles, and make a lot of great memories in the process.

So with that in mind- I'm ready to set out.  Watch out San Diego, the Part Time Sugar Mommas are headed your way!

No comments:

Post a Comment